Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Picture of a Perfect Mother's Day Weekend

And for a moment it’s perfect. Peaceful. Calm. The windows and doors are open and a cool breeze is blowing through. The birds are singing and the girls are playing well together and the only sound outside of the wind and birds is laughter. I love this time of year, however short it may be. The beautiful weather allows my home to expand from the 1800 sq ft 3 bedroom, two bath into a much larger 2 ½ acre home. The indoors and the outdoors have no limits and seem to mingle in a way that erases the walls that actually surround us. I can count the number of times that I have had to close off the outdoor world and turn on the air-conditioner this year on just one hand. I have learned that as long as the wind is blowing and the fans are on, I can tolerate the warmer temps. The trees that shade our house and yard do an incredible job at keeping it cool. The girls live outside. Today the horses are grazing in the yard so the girls are playing in the pasture. They decided to walk to the back and explore the old red barn that is home to lots of wild little critters. For whatever reason, our oldest is carrying the youngest. The weenie dog sees the opportunity to find trouble and runs quickly to catch up. Their exploration is quick; very short lived. They return quite certain that it’s haunted. “Not haunted, just old and creaky,” I assure them. The explanation makes sense and they go back to play in the sand that used to be a volleyball court. Sand castles, villages, and countries keep them busy most of the morning. I can’t help but think how nice this moment is. I watch them run and play through the pasture and for a moment I miss being 5. No, maybe not. Maybe watching them be children is better than being a child again… A sand fight breaks out and the peace and beauty is broken. It was bound to happen, of course. Imperfection is what makes moments of perfection so great. You have to catch them when they happen, and enjoy them while they last because you know they are short lived and sometimes few and far between. But for a moment, our little world was perfect, and I have captured a beautiful picture in my mind that will always hold that moment of perfection.
And this is just one of the reasons that “mommy” is one of my favorite titles I wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment